Individual Morality and Social Justice
Bellow are my reading guides for some of the readings for this course.
- Jeremy Bentham, two selections from Introduction to the Principles of Morals and Legislation
- Jeremy Bentham, selection from Offenses Against One's Self
- J.J.C. Smart, "Utilitarianism and Justice" form An Outline of a System of Utilitarian Ethics
- John Rawls, "Classical Utilitarianism" and "The Reasoning Leading to the Principle of Average Utility" from A Theory of Justice
- Aristotle, selection from Nicomachian Ethics
- Thomas Hobbes, selections from Leviathan
- Friedrich Nietzsche, selections from On the Genealogy of Morals
- A.J. Ayer, selection from Language, Truth, and Logic
- Bernard Williams, "Relativism" form Morality: An Introduction to Ethics
- Plato, selection from Euthyphro
These are only some of the readings for this course. For the full list of readings, see the syllabus above.